ITSAGOAL.org - More than just a game
HomeManagerClubMatch daySquadTransfersLeagueCompetitionsStatisticsCommunityHelpShop

View forum thread

CREATE
Create your football club from the ground up and establish yourself as a football manager.
MANAGE
Manage every aspect of your football club from player transfers to squad training.
COMPETE
Go head to head with thousands of football managers from all over the world.
Off Topic
3rd Nov 16 9:56 PM
BubbaGump
Posts 474
sorry i went to post them all and then thought, ah sod it google will answer better

Links Courses
The original links courses, which are mostly found in the U.K., were situated in the thin strip of sand, grass and dunes that lay between the sea and agricultural land. The courses "linked" them together. Links style courses will have undulating fairways, sand dunes, deep bunkers and few (if any) trees. Many of the most famous links courses are to be found in Scotland or Ireland, including St Andrews, Turnberry, Portmarnock and Ballybunion.

Parkland Courses
The most common style of golf course can be found in the U.S. On a parkland course you will find lush, well-kept fairways, mature trees, thick rough and bunkers. They are usually situated well inland, although some very fine courses can be found close to the coastlines.

Resort Courses
Resort courses are very common in vacation states like Florida. Owned and run by hotels or resort companies, these courses are designed to be a pleasure to play for their guests regardless of the standard of golf they play. This means they will typically have wide fairways and the rough will be cut fairly short. This also helps speed of play on what are often very heavily played courses. Visually many of these courses provide stunning surroundings, with mature trees, lakes, and large, shallow sand traps.

Heath-land Courses
Heath-land courses are inland courses that feature gentle, rolling fairways winding through a landscape full of bushes and shrubs, but few large trees. Some of the oldest courses in the U.K., including past Ryder Cup venues like Walton Heath, are this style of course.

Desert Golf Courses
These are mostly found in the southwestern U.S. Situated in deserts, and therefore watered heavily, they are oases of green in the middle of the sand. Usually desert courses are pretty flat due to the nature of the country they are found in. Many of the best feature lakes, huge sandy waste areas surrounding the fairways, and large, sloping greens. A typical landscape of sand, cacti, palm trees and rocky outcrops give a very distinctive feel to these courses.

3rd Nov 16 10:07 PM
pleasantsurprise
Posts 6,335
Thanks.

I'm familiar with the term 'links' course but not the others.

What sort of course is The Belfry? Heath land? I only ask because I've been on er, courses there and I've wandered round one of the golf courses there.

3rd Nov 16 10:12 PM
BubbaGump
Posts 474
belfry i'd say is parkland but someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

3rd Nov 16 10:15 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Give me a parkland course with receptive greens that are fast and true (fast and not true is a terrible combo). Target golf, with the ability to spin the ball back or at worst drop and stop.

There is nothing better than then putting on a true green.

Problem I have with links is the randomness of having to throw a ball in short and inevitably the greens are not as true as a parkland course. Factor in a howling gale where par 3s can be anything from a wedge to a driver just makes it so difficult. Becomes a battle rather than enjoyable.

That said I do enjoy playing them every so often just to remind me how good links golfers really are and how rubbish I am at links golf.

I played a links once, where the front 9 was into the wind, back 9 with the wind. Scored 3 points going out (and 2 of them were on one hole) coming back scored 25 points. It was a Ryder Cup style match, where you scored your individual points as well as your match play score against the guy you were against. I was actually leading at the half way in match play with my 3 points, lol. I just wouldn't want to play that style of golf week in week out for your medal card.

3rd Nov 16 10:15 PM
wally
Posts 1,311
Pleasant is only fishing for the next Golf Game/Quiz

3rd Nov 16 10:17 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaGump
belfry i'd say is parkland but someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

I would agree, although the Brabazon is so slow in time taken to play it may as well be resort.

Played it a couple of times, it is tough from the back tees. Played it once with lightening fast greens. Was at the top of the green with a delicate chip required to a close flag, thought I hit a good chip for it to roll the whole length of the green and off the front edge. Shots like that make you realise how good the pros are.

3rd Nov 16 10:20 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Good guide by Bubba to the type of courses, but like all things some courses will be a mix of the categories.

3rd Nov 16 10:26 PM
pleasantsurprise
Posts 6,335
Quote:
Originally posted by wally
Pleasant is only fishing for the next Golf Game/Quiz

Laarrff!!

You know me too well wally!

5th Nov 16 10:37 PM
stripey
Posts 6,161
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
Off for 18 in a few minutes - will report back.

Bit late, but here it is in brief.

Off to a good start with two par 3s, and still OK after nine at +6 (38), including a lucky chip-in at the 5th for another par. One of my recurring targets is to try to beat my age over as many holes as possible. So far, my best is to do it for 13 holes, but I've come close to equalling or getting under it in fourteen, which would mean getting there in +8 or better. Another chip-in at the 11th for a birdie got me back to +6 after bogey at the 10th, but from there onwards my golf was horrible. Having missed my target on the 14th by three shots, I then had a series of shanks on the next two holes, and was back in 45.

Went out again today. Lovely bright day, but quite a stiff wind, and cold if you stood still. I started after 3 o'clock, as with only two hours of light left, the course is usually very quiet, and I can zip round in a couple of hours. Immediate change of plan, though, as a single player was on the first tee, so I marched quickly to the 2nd to get ahead of him.

2nd: 6-iron to three feet - birdie
3rd: hybrid 3 to thirty feet - two putts for par
4th: tough par 4: drive and sliced 4-wood to the bracken, but down in three more - bogey
5th: lucky thin 4-iron that got a good forward bounce; chip to ten feet; one putt - par
6th: short par 4 playing long: short with driver and 6-iron, poor chip and two putts - bogey
7th: Driver and pitching wedge to twenty feet; two putts - par
8th: short par 4: drive and short pitch to thirty feet: two putts - par
9th: Fluff, top, fluff, top, full 8-iron still short, chip to three feet, one putt - triple bogey

That of course made a real hole in the score, but there was still a chance of beating my age over 14 holes. However, another difficultly emerged, with the sight of a fourball group just two holes ahead. Normally, if I'm playing on my own, I'll go about twice as fast as a fourball, so I was going to get stuck behind this lot unless either they let me through, or I took another route. There's a bit of a loop at the top of the course where there a few options for switching the order of the holes, in order to nip past a slower group. After the 10th, I could play the 14th, and 13th, followed by the 11th and 12th, which would take me near to the 15th tee. If I could do this fast, the fourball would be somewhere around the 13th green, and I would be sure of completing the round before it got too dark to play.

10th: good drive, then a thin 8-iron 60 feet past the flag; one putt!! - birdie
14th: drive and 6-iron just short, chip and two putts - bogey
13th: drive and hybrid to the front of the green; three putts from 60 feet - bogey
11th: drive and 4-wood to rough, short pitch and two putts - bogey

Disappointingly, as I was playing this hole, the ladies' fourball (who were quicker than most men's fourballs, I must say) opted to leave out the 13th and 14th, so I was still going to be behind them from the 15th.

12th: thin 4-iron short of the green; chip and two putts - bogey
15th: belter of a drive that should have got to the green, but it just drifted right and got caught up with the 16th tee. Pitch over the green; chip ad one putt - par
16th: Another belter of a drive to within a few yards of the green, chip and tow putts - par
17th: Boom! another good one, but a weak pitch just short of the green and three putts - bogey
18th: Lovely 4-iron just through; chip to 3 feet, one putt - par
1st (almost dark): thin 4-wood, weak chip that came back down the bank, chip, two putts - double bogey

For the first 14 holes, therefore I was one over my age. Next time out is probably Wednesday, when I get another shot in this particular challenge.

5th Nov 16 10:54 PM
pleasantsurprise
Posts 6,335
Come on, who'll be first to work out how old stripey really is?

5th Nov 16 10:58 PM
stripey
Posts 6,161
Quote:
Originally posted by pleasantsurprise

Roughly PS-10, at a guess.

5th Nov 16 11:31 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
Quote:

107?

6th Nov 16 1:09 AM
zfreez
Posts 15
managed to get 18 in today...Played with two Members which reduced my Green Fees, I wasn't aware of that!

anyway nothing much to report for the first nine holes .. 55 up an down an all over the place

We began to Tee off the Ten, when another Member asked to join us for the final 9
The other two members seemed like they didnt want this Guy along

Well 9 holes later, an I found out he's one of those do this, no do that, try this , try that ... he followed me around like glue ...of all his suggestions ,nothing worked or clicked for me

66 shots an nine holes later I now know the Why

6th Nov 16 10:57 AM
stripey
Posts 6,161
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoopie
107?

Hoopie, you know that Pleasant isn't 117. Very naughty.

6th Nov 16 10:58 AM
stripey
Posts 6,161
Quote:
Originally posted by zfreez
managed to get 18 in today...Played with two Members which reduced my Green Fees, I wasn't aware of that!

anyway nothing much to report for the first nine holes .. 55 up an down an all over the place

We began to Tee off the Ten, when another Member asked to join us for the final 9
The other two members seemed like they didnt want this Guy along

Well 9 holes later, an I found out he's one of those do this, no do that, try this , try that ... he followed me around like glue ...of all his suggestions ,nothing worked or clicked for me

66 shots an nine holes later I now know the Why

Very annoying, someone like that. Could he play decent golf?

Playing with a member usually gets you in at about half price at most clubs.

6th Nov 16 1:22 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
Quote:

6th Nov 16 1:35 PM
stripey
Posts 6,161
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzymac

Nope.

6th Nov 16 1:43 PM
ozzymac
Posts 2,877
Quote:
Originally posted by stripey
Nope.

6th Nov 16 2:58 PM
Hoopie
Posts 184
67? (-5) my record score

8th Nov 16 10:44 PM
stripey
Posts 6,161
Nobody right yet - and the number changes tomorrow.

Hoopie, that's a fine score. I've only broken par once, and that was a 67, but my lowest round ever was a 63 (level par!) at the shorter of the two courses at St. Enodoc.

Copyright © 2024 - IAG Games Ltd. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Rules of game